Station W-O-C of Davenport, Iowa. Words and music by Nat Ozmon (1923). Original sheet music can be viewed in the Special Collections and Archives.
Our reading room, is located on the 1st floor of the Administration Building, Room A105 on the Davenport Campus.
This guide focuses on resources which highlight the World of Chiropractic (WOC) Broadcasting Station. You will find resources which give a general overview of the history of WOC, the materials produced by WOC and Ronald Reagan. The types of materials are listed; books, journal articles, and photographs. The guide is divided into the following pages:
B.J. Palmer purchased the radio station in March 1922, and became part of the Palmer School campus.The station increased its range with the installation of a 500-watt transmitter.
There were reports that international listeners could hear WOC. Programming included local and national news, weather reports, musical shows and educational lectures, many about chiropractic. B.J. Palmer used the radio station to reach out to the community, promoting the ideals of chiropractic.
WOC is best known as being the first commercially licensed radio station west of the Mississippi and for its famous employee, Ronald Reagan, hired in 1932 as a sports announcer.
WOC became WOC-TV and began television broadcasts on October 31, 1949. The Palmers owned the WOC broadcasting station for over 70 years.