About Library Reserves
The reserve collection at the David D. Palmer Health Sciences Library supports the Palmer College of Chiropractic curriculum at each of the campuses.
How to Submit Reserve Requests
Please use the forms below to submit reserve requests to the library. You can submit it in person, via interoffice mail, or electronically. We will contact you if we have any questions or concerns about your reserves submission. We will also contact you when your item(s) have been processed and are available for student use.
Reserve Instructions for Faculty
The Palmer Health Sciences Library Reserve Service allows faculty to designate materials that are needed by multiple users as part of a course or a club and have the materials placed in the Reserve section of the library. Reserve items carry shorter check-out periods and larger fines than other library materials.
- Only faculty members may place items on reserve. Clubs wishing to place items on Reserve must get the signature of their faculty advisor and class president.
- The list of materials to be placed on reserve must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the trimester or quarter.
- Each course or club may have up to four (4) photocopies of an article on reserve each term.
- A photocopied article may remain on reserve for one term, for one course. Additional use requires that copyright permission be obtained from the publisher. Copyright permission may be procured from the Copyright Clearance Center at www.copyright.com.
- Requests to place materials on reserve must be renewed each trimester or quarter. If a request is not renewed, the material will be removed at the end of the term. If personal items were place on reserve, they will be returned to the instructor.
- Material from the reference collection will only be placed on reserve if the library owns a second copy.
- Original materials obtained through interlibrary loan cannot be placed on reserve.
When to Submit Reserve Requests
You may submit new reserves at any time: before, during, or after the term.
If you wish for an item to be accessible for the first day of the term, please submit your request at least 5 working days prior to the start of the term to ensure proper processing time. Most requests are generally processed within 1-2 business days
General Restrictions - All Reserve Items
All materials placed in the reserve collection will be for non-commercial, educational use by Palmer College of Chiropractic students.
Use of reserve materials for any given course will be restricted to Palmer students enrolled in that course. The only exceptions to this rule are those items that are owned by the David D. Palmer Health Sciences Library. Such items will be available for in-house perusal by all library patrons, although students enrolled in the course for which the materials are reserved will be given priority when borrowing.
Do I have to renew my items each term?
Yes. Your campus contact will e-mail you during term breaks about your items. If you do not respond before the start of the next term, your items will be removed from reserve. Items belonging to you will be returned via interoffice mail.
Do I have to contact you about my required textbooks on reserve?
You may certainly check in with the library about your required textbooks to make sure we have the proper items available for your students. The library has commited to purchasing one copy of all required textbooks and placing them on reserve without instructor involvement.
We receive information about your required textbooks from the bookstore, so if there is a discrepancy, please let us know.
Questions about Fair Use, Copyright, and Permissions?
For questions concerning copyright, fair use, and seeking publisher permission, refer to our Copyright & Plagiarism guide.